Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Downy dunk!!! need help

  1. #1
    *Marisol_Grace_Girl*
    Guest *Marisol_Grace_Girl*'s Avatar

    Post

    I, katya, stupid as I am , need help!
    Miss molly, for those of you have seen my previous two posts, know that she needs lots of tlc. Well she has been cleaned up pretty good. But now comes the hard part, her hair!!

    I just bought downy. Now what do I do next???!!

    Thanks!!!!!!!
    [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img] Katya [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Marly's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is the Downy dunk done just for hair or the whole body because I see she too the dolls heads off to dry?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member erick0808's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2004
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The downy dunk is just for the hair only. Be careful not to get it into the eyes.

    Kim

  5. #5
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you can, read the captions/instructions for the whole album. The heads were removed at one point in the process so that the bodies could be put through the washing machine. Then they were left out to air dry--upside down so that any extra water could drip out. But I had also put them through an extra spin, I believe, so no water was actually dripping out, I don't think.
    Have fun!
    Joy

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 21, 2005 09:47 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A question- is it possible to do a Downy Dunk without steaming afterward? My Josefina's hair is really frizzy, but I don't have a steamer. I also know I won't be able to afford one for some time.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member nicolej's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2003
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try to get fragrance free Downy.
    I did two dolls this summer with some perfumed Downy and UGH their hair really reeks. I tried to rinse it out again but they still smell a lot.
    I didn't use a steamer because I don't have one and it was OK.
    I wasn't doing it because the hair was wrecked though. I was doing it to get the musty, smokey smell out of the hair. It worked!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I also washed the dolls - following Joy's directions - except I put several white towels in the wash too for more padding because we have a washer that spins sideways - and I couldn't bear to hear the girls clunk around.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If her hair does not suit you after the treatment, and you do not have access to a steamer, there is something else you can try....
    First of all, let me say, this is at your own risk, and try a small section of hair first. There are people who are very against this type of thing, but I have had terrific results. I have successfully used this method on many a pony and doll, including a Samantha and a Felicity. I have been using this method on my dolls for about 10 years with no problems.

    First, I wash my dolls hair, and use pantene conditioner on it.

    Next, I gently towel dry my dolls hair.

    Then I heat up a curling iron to a reasonable temp- I use a "medium" temp.

    WHILE THE DOLLS HAIR IS STILL WET test a tiny area of hair in a hidden place, to be sure it does not melt. I have never ever had hair melt, because I am very careful about my temp. Again, do this while the hair is WET. It does not have to be drippy, but damp at least. It is OK to keep a spray bottle nearby to mist the hair with.

    Once you see that the hair is not going to melt, very carefully separate out 1" sections on the hair. Comb it smooth. Start about 1" away from the wig cap, and slowly, gently pull the curling iron down to the end of the hair. You can repeat this as many times as you need to. Keep the hair damp while you work.KEEP THE CURLING IRON MOVING, Do not let it sit in one place too long or it will leave a crimp that you will have to work o iron out.

    Once you are done, move to the next section of hair. Take extra care not to get too close to the vinyl of the doll, as it can be damaged more easily than the hair.

    When you are done, the hair may still be a little damp-if so, let it dry before you comb it out.

    Your end result should be smooth, glossy hair. The results are the most notable when the doll is really bad off. If your doll is just so-so, just the dunk my be enough.

    What gives hair that dry, frizzy look, aside from the dryness, is usually the fact that each strand of hair has become crinkled and wrinkled-usually as a result of being brushed. When you brush doll hair, it usually stretches each hair a tiny bit.The hair reacts to stretching by "drawing back up" a little, which leads to that crinkled, frizzy look. Usually, if you separate out a single hair a look at it, you can see what I mean. It is not smooth and straight.

    Using a conditioner, ever one for people hair, leaves the hair with more moisture than it would have without one. It also allows the curling iron to glide through the hair more smoothly.

    By pulling the curling iron through it in small sections, you are actually ironing out the crinkles in each strand.

    Like I said, I have had a lot of luck with this on vintage dolls, AG dolls,My little ponies, old Halloween wigs and even the cheapest synthetic hair from the local beauty supply shop.

    Here is a webpage that shows where I used this method for some synthetic hair I use to reroot My Little Ponies.

    http://hometown.aol.com/moongazermlp...Hairpage2.html

    Like I said, please try this at your own risk. Be careful about the amount of heat you use, keep the hair damp, watch out for the vinyl, and be patient.

    Good luck!

    <font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ September 07, 2005 02:51 PM: Message edited by: American_Mommy ]</font></font>

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 07, 2005 02:56 PM: Message edited by: American_Mommy ]</font>

  9. #9
    Ashley1972
    Guest Ashley1972's Avatar

    Post

    Wow! American Mommy, I'll have to try this! It makes a lot of sense, too.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you.

    I wanted to make sure colette denali saw this too, since she was asking about not having a steamer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •